Typhoid or Enteric fever is serious and common infection (in many countries) caused by the gram-negative bacilli Salmonella typhi and is characterized by sustained fever, abdominal pain, and a rash.
Contamination of food products and water supplies with infected fecal matter causes widespread infections. Flies can spread the infection directly from stool to foods. Typhoid is a water and food borne disease. Poor as well as developing countries such as Asian countries (India, Pakistan, SriLanka, Bangladesh), African countries have Enteric fever as a major health menace.
Important changes seen in laboratory investigations are:
- Complete Blood Count:
In the first week of infection the blood counts will show
- Reduction in the total number of white blood cells (leucopenia) and eosinophils
- Increased number of and lymphocytes.
- Blood Cultures: cultures come positive in the 1st and 2nd weeks of infection.
- Widal Test: This test is negative in the 1st week and strongly positive from the 2nd week of infection.
- Liver Function Tests: from the second week onwards, the liver transaminases appear to be elevated.
Homeopathy in enteric fevers
Homeopathy works for Enteric fever. We have documented several cases of successful cure of Enteric fever. However, the treatment is slower than the conventional antibiotics.